As you prepare for success in the new year, we have a few tips for you and the children in your life to help you celebrate “success” in 2018 – and make it your best year yet.
1. Be ready to celebrate by documenting your successes! A fun activity is to create a “Success Jar.” It’s a great activity for both adults and kids.
How does it work? Start the year with an empty jar and then fill it with notes about anything good that happened throughout the year. Then on New Year’s Eve, or whenever you need a pick-me-up, open up the jar and celebrate all the good things that you’ve made happen!
2. Set yourself up for success in the new year by picking just 3 things you want to focus on. Often when writing New Year’s resolutions, people will create a list of 20+ things as they envision a life of “perfection.” This just sets them up for disappointment.
If you can pick just three things to focus on, then you will have a higher chance of success. Once you’ve accomplished those three things, then you can add additional goals to your list if you want to. There are no rules saying that goals and resolutions can only be made in January!
Remember to add your goals to your vision board. (If you don’t have a vision board, creating one would be another fun holiday and year-end activity).
3. Declare “how much by when.” Don’t just say, “I’m going to spend more time with my kids” or “I want to make a positive impact the lives of children this year.” Build a plan. Here is an example of “how much by when” for the resolution of “spend more time with my kids”:
• Once each month I’m going to do a fun one-on-one activity with each of my children
• Once each week we will have a family game night
• Twice each month we will have a family movie night.
4. Take time to celebrate along the way: reward yourself! And make sure to add all of your accomplishments – big or small – to your Success Jar!
We’re wishing you a spectacular 2018 with tons of fun and successes!