Sally Parkes Pregnancy Yoga Teacher Training
85hr Prenatal and Postnatal
Yoga Teacher Training
The course is open to anyone with a keen interest in ante-natal education and a passion for sharing their knowledge after the course with mums-to be, including yoga teachers, doulas and midwives.
About this training:
6 days online training from 3rd – 5th December & 10th – 12th December 2020
Training timing: UK time: 9am-5pm, UAE timezone 12pm-8pm
Students of this course develop a thorough knowledge of yoga asana, mudra, pranayama, relaxation and more meditative elements of yoga during pregnancy. This course is fully certified by Yoga Alliance Professionals (UK) and The Yoga Alliance USA, and is taught by Sally Parkes BSc. Her UK trainings also feature guest teachers & speakers and bonus material for the online courses.
With full accreditation from the above bodies, our certified Pregnancy Yoga Teacher Training course offers 85hours of learning about all aspects of becoming a mother – from pregnancy, to postnatal and Mother & Baby Yoga. Successful participants join as students but leave as teachers, with the knowledge, confidence and expertise to run classes and individual sessions which deliver safe, uplifting and effective yoga practice with clients across any stage of this miraculous journey.
The course offers a strong focus on anatomy and physiology with additional emphasis on learning about the Shakti (female) energy, which plays such a vital role in conception, pregnancy and birth
The course also offers a broader offering for mother’s yoga practice, such as gentle postnatal Pilates inspired methods to support, strengthen and stretch; gentle exercise for health and alignment; basic yoga sequences for mother & baby; and recovery and rehabilitation during the postnatal phase.
The contact hours allow the opportunity for discussion as well as yoga practice, plus we will be inviting special guest teachers including an experienced to present classes and a talk as part of this training. You will also receive the recordings of the sessions to revisit after graduating and a soft copy manual.
Furthermore, you will also receive ongoing support via our closed Facebook group and invites to further training to Sally Parkes before they are announced to the general public.
- Yoga related movements to stretch and strengthen the physical body and help alleviate common conditions of pregnancy.
- Appropriate relaxation, pranayama, visualisations and meditation for the prenatal mother.
- How simple breath work and deep relaxation can help rejuvenate a mother mentally, physically and emotionally.
- How pregnancy can negatively affect postural alignment, and how with the correct programming of yoga asana, we can in part counteract these changes.
- Effective use of yoga props to help the mother feel more supported.
- The difference between sequencing yoga asana for a mother in her second and in her third trimester.
- Moola Bandha – the importance of a healthy pelvic floor and how the alignment of the pelvis affects its’ engagement.
- Energetics – An overview of the Chakra System and how the pelvic floor relates to and affects the Root Chakra.
- A discussion on the effects that pregnancy has on the direction of prana, and how this relates to birth.
- Hypnobirthing inspired relaxation techniques.
Birth and Birth Preparation Module
- Positions for optimal foetal positioning and how the position of the baby may affect labour.
- Working with an exercise ball and chair for the late stages of pregnancy, in preparation for birth.
- The importance of the Nervous System: the role the Sympathetic and Parasympathetic Nervous Systems during birth.
- Birth and labour – discussion of a ‘normal’ or ‘physiological’ birth.
- Meditation and birth affirmations for the birthing mother that can be used no matter how her birth unfolds.
Postnatal and Mother and Baby Yoga Module
- Yoga and Pilates related movements for the postnatal period to stretch, strengthen the physical body and help alleviate common conditions of a postnatal woman including postural changes such as upper and low crossed syndrome.
- Postnatal recovery yoga for the mother who has experienced a medicalised birth and/or birth trauma.
- Mother and baby yoga – How to plan and facilitate a class safely and effectively so it is all inclusive and involves both the mother and baby.
This course teaches you to deliver classes and one to one lessons that are:
- Safe, effective and functional
- An even blend of the yoga system
You will finish the training course with the skills to:
- You will be able to teach a Pregnancy Yoga class, a Postnatal Yoga class and a Mother & Baby Yoga class.
- Teach a well-rounded yoga class that honours a woman’s mind and body at this special and sacred time.
- Integrate yoga props and small equipment into your classes and one to ones to make them more bespoke.
- Adapt the class for those with injuries and/or common ailments such as lower back pain, pelvic girdle pain, low/high blood pressure and fatigue.
- Have a clear understanding of why it is important to incorporate all elements of yoga into a class.
- Have the knowledge of what actually happens to the body during pregnancy and birth.
All graduates will receive a certificate upon completion. This training is 85Hours (including private study time) to meet with the standards of Yoga Alliance Professionals (UK), Yoga Alliance USA. Following your successful completion of this training, and if you already have a 200hr Yoga Teacher Training certification, you will be permitted to register with Yoga Alliance
All applicants must have basic knowledge of yoga
As part of this 85hour course, we require you to do at least 22 hours of private study and reading. There are several assignments to complete including one class observations (ideally submitted prior to the course), teaching practice and a case study. You will also be expected to thoroughly read the course training manual.
Reading list to purchase prior to and during the training:
- Bountiful, Beautiful, Blissful by Gurmukh
- The Course Training Manual (included in your training fee)
About your teacher, Sally Parkes, BSc, SYT, EYT, RPYT
Sally Parkes (BSc) has over twenty years teaching experience in the yoga industry and an Honours Degree in Exercise Physiology. Sally trained as an Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga teacher in 2004 with Paul Dallaghan, before continuing her studies in Mysore, India.
Upon becoming a mother however, she heard her calling to teach Pregnancy Yoga and now specialises in delivering prenatal and postnatal yoga teacher trainings around the world.
Sally’s training is unique in that she shares her extensive knowledge in anatomy and physiology, whilst weaving together all elements of the yoga tradition in order to empower the mother to be to bring her baby safely and lovingly into the world.
Now a mother of two daughters, Sally also pens many articles for major publications and is the author of the bestselling book The Manual of Yoga Anatomy. Certified as an Experienced and Senior Yoga Teacher, Sally is known for her humour, warmth and inclusive presentations and delivered training in the UK, Asia and the Middle East.
These training courses are Registered Yoga School (RYS) with Yoga Alliance.
Hey Sally. I just wanted to say thank you so much for all of your in-depth coursework feedback. This has been the most informational certification I have taken as of yet. In comparison to the others I’ve taken, you’ve really made it a much more personal experience and challenging enough to the point where I feel I really understand the material and its’ importance. This has been such a great experience for me. Wishing you all of the best, Sally! Thanks again.
Calling all male yoga teachers! I’ve just attended a Postanatal Yoga (YAPTA) workshop with Sally Parkes which has been really useful for an area I previously considered pretty daunting. Sally made the session inclusive, informative, practical and enjoyable and I came away feeling confident of safely integrating any postnatal students attending my classes.
Hey Sally, I just wanted to say that I have come to realise that the quality of what you teach in your pregnancy yoga teacher training is far above and beyond anything which I have encountered before. I honestly feel very very grateful to have had the opportunity to train with you and learn from you, and I’m looking forward to starting my own classes in the next few months. With much love and appreciation.
Hi Sally. I trained with you in October 2017 in Arundel and I just wanted to let you know how well my Prenatal Yoga classes are going and how much I enjoy teaching them. The feedback I get is really good and it’s all thanks to you Sally.Your course was very thorough and I feel confident to teach safely. Thank you again.Namaste.
The course was fantastic. It really shifted the way I need to think about moving the body throughout pregnancy and after. It was a reminder that prenatal yoga is not just about keeping the woman active, but also about preparing her mentally for labour and birth.
The past five days have flown by so quickly. To borrow a word from @sallyparkesyoga, this whole experience has been “cosmic”. Sally is the most warm and honest of teachers, offering up an incredible amount of knowledge with an extraordinary amount of attention to detail. My mind is simply overflowing with the information I have learnt and I can’t wait to put it into practice. Combine this with an amazing group of loving, empowering and down right hilarious women… It is not an exaggeration to say this has been a life changing experience.